Sunday, June 22, 2008

Eating Mindfully - Short Grain or Jasmine Brown Rice?

Wow I had the best question from HopeAlso from Hippie Dippie Bebe! In regard to my using Jasmine brown rice in one of my favorite recipes, Thai Spicy Eggplant and Veggies.



Unfortunately, I hadn't considered the nutritional difference between brown short grain rice and brown jasmine rice before but since I am working on the 100 Day Reality Challenge and eating more mindfully is one of my goals, this question comes at just the right time!

I always use brown rice now and was happy to see the Organic Brown Jasmine rice from Lundberg at our store. I also use the Organic Brown Short Grain from Lundberg too! Often I mix them as I like the stickiness of the short grain and the texture of the longer/medium grain.

It seems it is a toss up as to which is better nutrition wise. The short grain has 3 grams of fiber and 3 grams of protein compared to Jasmine’s 2 grams of fiber, and 4 grams of protein. Jasmine has less carbs and a smidgen more iron. It may vary with different brands.

I love your articles Hope! It is just amazing to me how often we are pondering the same things at the same time. Thanks for the question!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw gee shucks, thanks Angela! I'm glad I finally made it over to your blog; will be fun to give each other inspiration. You have a beautiful place.

I had never thought of the possibility of mixing the two. I also love the texture of jasmine. Now I'm definitely going to have to check what they have at our natural foods store!

Thanks!
H

P.S. Congrats to your little one for her special day!